Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Apple Time Capsule...not impressed

I finally got around to setting up our new wired home network, using an Apple Time Capsule router/network drive (Gen4 2TB).  Cat6 ethernet cables are already in place connecting the bedrooms, den iMac, AppleTV, and PS3, etc.  All that was left to do was connect the cables to an ethernet switch, get a USB hub to connect a few USB hard drives and a printer,  and then hook it all up to the TC.  Simple, right?

Unfortunately, the process turned out to be very "un-Apple-like".  Mimicking a Microsoft product, the TC froze on initial start up and wouldn't unfreeze until I called Apple Support and learned how to do a "hard reset".  After some initial success, the TC continued to suffer one error after another in network connectivity.  It froze again while it tried to update it's firmware.  The internet connection kept disconnecting.  And then the TC drive just disappeared from Finder.  Great.

Reconnecting the old wireless router, I got online and spent a few hours searching for solutions.  I learned how to do a bunch of unnecessarily complex repair work (rolling back the firmware, etc) that reminded me of the worst days in PC/Microsoft land. Finally got the thing working today after probably 8 hours of messing with it...


No comments: